Saturday, June 28, 2008

Soft-Spoken Iron Girl

Finally spoke with Ng Nan See day before yesterday. Turns out she's just 26, Class of '99.

Told her I'm from Class of '80.

"I wasn't born yet" came back, matter-of-factly.

Ouches aside, there was instant fellowship and Nan See did not hesitate to share her fund-raising story. How she began is best told, I believe, with this excerpt from her email to friends:

"...I understand that everyone is wondering how I come to know about our school needing help. Here's how the story goes...my department manager, Mr Ong Ah Sun, is the President of PIBG St George. He is very successful in collecting donations for St George school. A lot of improvement have been done to the school ... A PIBG committee member of St George, Pn Maznah (if I'm not mistaken), is also in the PIBG committee member of Treacher Methodist. Therefore, she and the school (Pn Noriza-pengetua, Pn Sharifah, and others) asked the help of Mr Ong. And now is our time in Actionnnn......"

Action indeed from this soft-spoken young OG. Networking through email, she collected RM3,828 in a month plus, beginning from late February!

"I emailed my friends, and they emailed their friends. I feel very happy. My friends are so generous. They didn't ask any questions. When they got to know of the school's problem, they called me and they just gave. Some people who don't know me did query. I answered them. When they're comfortable, they gave."

OGs from years 1996 to 2003 and some non-OGs gave to the school through Nan See, and the collection was handed over during the May 3 fund-raising dinner (hmm, was kind of hoping to add to our "Raised To-date" figure!). She had compiled the list of donors so the school could mail them receipts.

Did it take a lot of effort on your part, I asked.

"Not much. If we feel we want to do, it's very easy. When I receive donations, I feel worth it and I get to help the school," came the answer.

What a girl! Old Girl, Iron Girl.

Nan See, Taiping born and bred, first schooled at Convent Klian Pau, went to TMGS for Secondary 1-5. Has been away from Taiping for only 4 years, when studying at UTM Johor. Been back in Taiping since 2004, working at Public Bank. Transferring soon to Penang. We wish her well in her new posting!

Her personal message to OGs all over:

"For those who have donated, I really appreciate what you have done. For those who have not donated, I hope you will help back the school."

No comments: