Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Learning all the time

Just three weeks ago, before all this came up, I chatted with an old gentleman, a retired teacher, who actively promotes the interests of mission schools. He shared with me their serious lack of funds among other problems.

I have since learned that mission schools are not fully government-funded. They come under the category of Sekolah Bantuan Modal or "government-aided school" and have to come up with own funds to maintain themselves. To my knowledge, TMGS has received maintenance aid only once in recent years, ie, RM30,000 in 2006.

If you wish to learn more about the funds situation of mission schools, please click on the "assuntaalumni" link.

1 comment:

sweebin said...

Thank you to all who have responded. To reply a question, this fund-raising project belongs to the school, not to me! But, I am committed to helping publicize the situation and appeal for help. Please note that all donations are to be addressed to the school's parents-teachers association (PIBG). I believe we have enough old girls to make a significant contribution, if we pull together as in "kecil-kecil jadi bukit." If need be, I hope to get my gang and other old girls to do more. Cheers!