Thursday, December 4, 2008

I Want To Ride My Bicycle!



How long has it been since you cycled in the cool, green and refreshing environs of our world-famous Taiping Lake Gardens, and bask in the sheer poetry and beauty of the raintrees arching to the water?

If you are like me, that would be school days. Not that I've never returned to the Lake Gardens. Just never cycled there since my Form 6 days and felt the wind blowing in my face and hair. Those were the days.

Miss those days? Wish to take this trip back memory lane?

The school has come up with the absolutely brilliant idea of a CYCLETHON to kick off next year's 12oth anniversary celebrations. It's set for January 17, Saturday, in the morning. The idea is to flag off from the school, make a round of the Lake Gardens and come back to the school.

What's so brilliant about a cyclethon, you may ask?

In my humblest opinion, it is brilliant because cycling is one thread of the common fabric that binds us alumni together. We all cycled! Orang Taiping semuanya tau tunggang basikal! I know, that's generalizing things a bit, but you get the picture. My sisters and I were terrors on two wheels. Once a classmate on her schoolbus commented, "You all cycle like ribut (storm)."

So, Cyclethon Sempena Pelancaran Sambutan 120 Tahun SMK (P) Treacher Methodist Taiping 2009 (phew, what a mouthful) is simply wonderful, I say. And hope all of you agree.

It's a wonderful way for old friends to meet up again -- with all the chatting and bantering, we'll probably want to go on cycling forever, and Puan Noriza will have to blow her whistle again and again to call us back to finishing line, ha ha ha.

It's a wonderful way for alumni to come together to help our dear old school. Did I forget to say this? It's not just fun and nostalgia, ladies -- each of us will get sponsors to back our ride around the Lake Gardens. All the funds raised will go towards the restoration of the school. All the school is asking is minimum RM30 sponsorship per biker. (Note: There is no registration fee.)

It's a wonderful way for all of us to let the whole of Taiping know that we - the alumni of this very first English girls school in Malaysia - remember our roots and our alma mater, and are serious about helping her get back to her old glory. Banners will be placed all over to harken the start of the 120th jubilee. Of course, the cyclethon is open to everyone, and not just alumni.

Treacher Methodist Girls School, Taiping town will hail to thee! You are nearly as old as the town. You have groomed generations of girls. You have been there for 20,831 girls and will be there for more.

Hmm, are you already thinking where to get bikes (YAY!)? If you are not currently living in Taiping, you can get from family or relatives. If all have left the town, don't worry. Where's there a will, there's a bike!!! Yup, somehow, somewhere, we'll get a bike for you.

The important thing now is to sign up.

Get your old gang there (yoohoo, Phang, Norma, SChooi, LYin, SMing, Gaik Hua, Yew Peng, Nor Azah, Min Choo, Azrinah, Najeemu, Phooi Bee and all from 5ScR...).

Get your family there (take my word, it will be an event that they will remember forever).

To sign up and/or get further details, please email Esther Hor, Form 3 student in charge of registration, at silk_rehtse@yahoo.com or Puan Sharifah, teacher-in-charge, at sazub171@gmail.com.

COMING UP SOON! Class of '70 visits school and pledges support for the 120th anniversary cyclethon.



PICTURES COURTESY OF LOW IISHAN, BORN IN SUBANG JAYA TO TAIPING MARI PARENTS.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Swee Bin,

I chanced upon your blog and I'm happy to know that there are ex-TMGS girls who are still very passionate about their alumni. Like you, I was in TMGS from Std 1 to Form 5. But I finished my Form 5 waaaaaaaaaaay earlier than u. Great idea about the cycling expedition but not sure my old cracking bones will be able to push the paddles. I'll definitely spread the word around to my old 'gang' and hopefully we'll be able to make it to the event.

All the best!
Gaik Hong (Class of 'hic' '85)

sweebin said...

Hi Gaik Hong

Thank you for your kindred spirit. Lovely to hear that you are game for the expedition and plan to corral your old gang there -- simply ggrrreaat!

I finished Form 5 waaaaay earlier than you - 1980 (count the As, heheheh). Can. We can. Still young mah.

Let me know how you do. I'm going. See you!

rohanaputeh said...

Junaidah Aman: 012 2743447
and her elder sister
Faridah Aman : 017 3065660.

sweebin said...

WOWWEEE! THANK YOU, Rohana! I am all agog. My mouth fell open and my heart went several beats quicker, when I opened my gmail just now and saw your post.

I've forwarded to Puan Sharifah, the main organizer of the cyclethon.

Girls, keep up the spirit! You girls are awesome!