Monday, September 22, 2008

There from 1929 to 1978

I emailed Mrs Lim Chin Hun a list of questions and here's her reply. Hope you enjoy reading it as much as I do. Best wishes to you and family, Mrs Lim! :-)


Greetings from Sydney! Good on you and your friends for helping with the "TMGS Old Girls' Give Back" project and trying to give a 'face-lift' to the 'grand,old lady' who truly deserves it. She was born in the year of 1889 and will be 120 years old next year. That should call for a grand celebration when the time comes! As her dear children, we would all uphold her motto to 'Live Worthily' for she 'hast guided in right way" (as mentioned in the school song).

Now, it's time that I get to tell you about how I have spent 'the best years of my life' in TMGS as a former student and an ex-teacher from 1929 to 1978, including the 2nd World War Years when I was away from Taiping for about 4 years.

It was in Jan 1929 and at the early age of 6, my mother sent me off to the school known as Lady Treacher Girls' School (named after Lady Treacher, the wife of Mr William Treacher, the British Resident) together with my 2 bigger sisters. We all went in a rickshaw to and from school. In those early days the classes ranged from Primary One, Two, Standards from 1 - 7 followed by Junior Cambridge and Cambridge School Certificate (Senior Cambridge). I studied hard and managed to obtain 2 double promotions (from Standard 2 - 4 and then from Standard 4 - 6). School was fun because I enjoyed reading and singing with other girls. The late Miss Mable Poulier was one of my best teachers. I liked her for her patience and kindness. My best friend was and still is Mrs Delip Singh. She will always remind me 'great minds think alike' meaning 'the 2 of us' and we would keep on laughing about the thought.

Soon enough my school days came to an end and I had to start thinking of becoming a teacher and earn a living. I joined as a 'student-teacher' in my old school whose name was now changed to Treacher Methodist Girls' School (TMGS) in 1957. The 2nd World War which lasted 3 years and 8 mths interrupted my teachers' training as the school was first used by the Japanese forces as their barracks and later by the Indian army as headquarters. The school more or less did not seem to exist back then.

In 1941, after finishing the normal class Teacher training course held on Fridays and Saturdays for 3 years, I became a qualified teacher, trained as a General Purpose teacher. I taught all subjects in the timetable in the Lower Secondary department, namely Form 1 and 2. Soon I was chosen to be the afternoon Supervisor of the Lower Secondary for at least 10 years before retiring in 1978.

Time flies but I still have fond memories of my life as a teacher. I enjoyed being in the company of fellow teachers and getting to know them and their families as well. I liked my pupils too. They made me proud and happy when they worked hard to help themselves. There are 3 of my former pupils namely Sow Siew, Lye Ngoot and Cheng Heong, who are currently Committee Members of the Old Girls' Association in TMGS. They had all been working with me when I was once the Hon. Secretary of OGA for 12 memorable years from 1973-1985.

In Jan 1986 (8 years after my retirement in 1978) together with my family members we migrated to Sydney, Australia. I am now well settled here for 22 years and am enjoying the company of my eldest daughter and her family, some relatives and friends. I go to the Wesley Uniting Church and am keeping myself busy and happy with church activities, bible study cell group and seniors' luncheons in church.

At home I spend my time studying the bible, reading storybooks and newspapers, watching TV and having afternoon naps everyday. At my age, I have stopped sewing cross-stitch, doing much housework and gardening. My son and family will take me out at weekends either sight-seeing or shopping and also for lunch.

Yes, I truly admit that the photos on the web showing the school building in a deplorable condition do touches my heart. Having contributed RM300 the first time when the main building was constructed I feel it is my duty again to donate RM1000 to restore the old building to its former glory.

To me, TMGS is an icon in Taiping offering 'quality' education to its students population.

Once again, thank you for your effort in helping the school and please thank the school for posting me the receipt and letter. It is very nice of them to send me the letter.

Do your best and be blessed!

Mrs Lim Chin Hun

No comments: